Orange County News
Chick-fil-A cashier fired for mocking Asians
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- A cashier at a Chick-fil-A restaurant in Irvine has been fired for allegedly mocking Asian-American customers.
A photo posted on Kelvin Lee's Tumblr page shows two ordinary restaurant receipts. But in the customer identification line, one receipt says "Ching" and the other receipt says "Chong."
Pictures of those receipts have gone viral on the Internet.
Lee says two of his Asian-American friends ordered meals at the restaurant and received the receipts showing the derogatory names.
Chick-fil-A admits the incident happened and has fired the worker who used the false names.
In a written statement, a representative for the fast-food chain says Chick-fil-A's reputation should not be tarnished because of the woman's actions.
"The individual clearly violated our operating standards," the statement reads. "The matter was addressed and discussed immediately with the guests on the spot; and a confirmation was provided that the employee was immediately dismissed for the individual behavior."
"I don't hear that happening very often, but as an Asian I wouldn't like it if someone called me Ching or Chong," said Shirley Kim of Santa Ana.
orange county news, rob hayes
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD 6 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- California farmers to get more water
32 min ago