Orange County News
Chick-fil-A cashier fired for mocking Asians
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- A cashier at a Chick-fil-A restaurant in Irvine has been fired for allegedly mocking Asian-American customers.
A photo posted on Kelvin Lee's Tumblr page shows two ordinary restaurant receipts. But in the customer identification line, one receipt says "Ching" and the other receipt says "Chong."
Pictures of those receipts have gone viral on the Internet.
Lee says two of his Asian-American friends ordered meals at the restaurant and received the receipts showing the derogatory names.
Chick-fil-A admits the incident happened and has fired the worker who used the false names.
In a written statement, a representative for the fast-food chain says Chick-fil-A's reputation should not be tarnished because of the woman's actions.
"The individual clearly violated our operating standards," the statement reads. "The matter was addressed and discussed immediately with the guests on the spot; and a confirmation was provided that the employee was immediately dismissed for the individual behavior."
"I don't hear that happening very often, but as an Asian I wouldn't like it if someone called me Ching or Chong," said Shirley Kim of Santa Ana.
orange county news, rob hayes
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys 50 min ago
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody 29 min ago
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away 12 min ago
- 3 arrested for stealing gas from Fontana station
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial 18 min ago
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- Okla. tornado cleanup slowed by thunderstorms
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'
- 'Hangover 3' completes trilogy back in Vegas
38 min ago