Orange County News
Chick-fil-A cashier fired for mocking Asians
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- A cashier at a Chick-fil-A restaurant in Irvine has been fired for allegedly mocking Asian-American customers.
A photo posted on Kelvin Lee's Tumblr page shows two ordinary restaurant receipts. But in the customer identification line, one receipt says "Ching" and the other receipt says "Chong."
Pictures of those receipts have gone viral on the Internet.
Lee says two of his Asian-American friends ordered meals at the restaurant and received the receipts showing the derogatory names.
Chick-fil-A admits the incident happened and has fired the worker who used the false names.
In a written statement, a representative for the fast-food chain says Chick-fil-A's reputation should not be tarnished because of the woman's actions.
"The individual clearly violated our operating standards," the statement reads. "The matter was addressed and discussed immediately with the guests on the spot; and a confirmation was provided that the employee was immediately dismissed for the individual behavior."
"I don't hear that happening very often, but as an Asian I wouldn't like it if someone called me Ching or Chong," said Shirley Kim of Santa Ana.
orange county news, rob hayes
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note 57 min ago
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California 56 min ago
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades 44 min ago
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Body found in Corona; investigation underway
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis 4 min ago
- Pets of the Week: Chihuahua mixes Nina, Chloe
19 min ago