Orange County News
Garden Grove woman who severed husband's penis makes court appearance
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Garden Grove woman accused of cutting off her estranged husband's penis appeared in court on Monday for her arraignment.
Catherine Kieu, 48, was indicted on Thursday on felony counts of torture and aggravated mayhem. After appearing in court on Monday her arraignment was postponed until February.
The man told investigators that on July 11, he did not feel well after eating dinner that Kieu made for him and went to bed. She then allegedly tied the 60-year-old to the bed as he slept with nylon ropes, severing his penis with a large knife, and throwing it into the garbage disposal.
Kieu reportedly called 911 shortly after the incident, saying that "he deserved it."
The man was taken to UCI Medical Center for emergency surgery.
The two were living together at the time. The two had been married for about a year and a half, but the husband filed for divorce six months before the attack, authorities said.
Police said that the two had apparently argued about a future house guest, which sparked her actions.
Kieu is being held on $1 million bail. She could face a life sentence without the possibility of parole.
City News Service contributed to this story.
arrest, unbelievable, orange county news
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Man shot to death in Boston bombing probe
- Bear roams around Shadow Hills neighborhood
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Big rig, truck collide in Pomona; 2 killed
- Body positively identified as missing hiker
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating 10 min ago
- abcnews: Cleveland kidnap victims 'happy and safe'
- UK attack driven by radical Islam - officials 32 min ago
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- PHOTOS: 'Dancing With The Stars' finale