Orange County News
Garden Grove woman who severed husband's penis makes court appearance
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Garden Grove woman accused of cutting off her estranged husband's penis appeared in court on Monday for her arraignment.
Catherine Kieu, 48, was indicted on Thursday on felony counts of torture and aggravated mayhem. After appearing in court on Monday her arraignment was postponed until February.
The man told investigators that on July 11, he did not feel well after eating dinner that Kieu made for him and went to bed. She then allegedly tied the 60-year-old to the bed as he slept with nylon ropes, severing his penis with a large knife, and throwing it into the garbage disposal.
Kieu reportedly called 911 shortly after the incident, saying that "he deserved it."
The man was taken to UCI Medical Center for emergency surgery.
The two were living together at the time. The two had been married for about a year and a half, but the husband filed for divorce six months before the attack, authorities said.
Police said that the two had apparently argued about a future house guest, which sparked her actions.
Kieu is being held on $1 million bail. She could face a life sentence without the possibility of parole.
City News Service contributed to this story.
arrest, unbelievable, orange county news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money 40 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 2 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station 3 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 1 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed 42 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...