Orange County News
Amputee war vets hold softball game in Mission Viejo
MISSION VIEJO, Calif. (KABC) -- A travel team of amputee war veterans hit the softball field in Mission Viejo on Sunday.
The Wounded Warrior softball team travels the country taking on able-bodied challengers to show how injured war veterans can return to normal life.
They enjoy inspiring others and getting a second chance to be an athlete.
"It's a great personal triumph bouncing back from an injury like an amputation, and it was a goal of mine to be able to play sports again. It's great to be out here," said team member Matt Kinsey.
The team is already booked solid for the rest of the year. The money raised Sunday will help them with travel and other expenses.
The ultimate goal is to provide stipends for the players so they can pursue college or other career goals.
orange county news
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 12 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 52 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 55 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
14 min ago