Orange County News
Suspect wounded in San Clemente high school parking lot
SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect was injured after a traffic stop turned into a deputy-involved shooting at San Clemente High School Tuesday morning.
An Orange County sheriff's spokesperson said the incident happened around 4:45 a.m. An O.C. sheriff's deputy was trying to pull over the driver for a traffic violation on 700 Avenida Pico.
The driver pulled into a parking lot at San Clemente High School and crashed through a gate near the athletic field. The deputy fired at least one shot, hitting the driver and wounding him.
"I believe the suspect was outside the vehicle, but that's still under investigation," said O.C. County Sherriff's spokesman Jim Amormino. "As the suspect's vehicle was being towed it did appear that the driver's window was shot out, but again how that occurred, I do not have that information."
Authorities said the suspect was injured in the gunfire and transported to Mission Hospital; his condition is unknown. The deputy was not injured.
San Clemente High School was operating normally; authorities said no faculty or students were at risk.
Authorities aren't releasing the identity of the driver, but he was driving a white GMC Yukon that had an Illinois license plate.
The cause of the shooting is unknown; it's unclear if he was armed. The O.C. District Attorney's Office is investigating the incident.
deputy-involved shooting, orange county news, eileen frere
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 46 min ago
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings 35 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients
- 80 pot plants found growing in sign-making biz
- IE student arrested in school vandalism case
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- OTRC: Ellen DeGeneres reacts to tabloid cover