Orange County News
Suspect dies after being shot by OC deputy
SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. (KABC) -- A man has died after being shot by a sheriff's deputy in the San Clemente High School parking lot on Tuesday.
The shooting happened hours before the start of school at about 4:45 a.m. Orange County sheriff's investigators say the deputy tried to pull the man over for a traffic violation after he drove through a gate and into the school parking lot.
The suspect crashed through a gate near the athletic field. The deputy fired at least one shot, hitting the driver and wounding him.
"I believe the suspect was outside the vehicle, but that's still under investigation," said O.C. County Sheriff's Department spokesman Jim Amormino. "As the suspect's vehicle was being towed it did appear that the driver's window was shot out, but again how that occurred, I do not have that information."
It was not clear why the deputy opened fire. The driver's name has not been released.
The O.C. District Attorney's Office is investigating the incident.
deputy-involved shooting, orange county news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 43 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen 34 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds