Orange County News
Suspect dies after being shot by OC deputy
SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. (KABC) -- A man has died after being shot by a sheriff's deputy in the San Clemente High School parking lot on Tuesday.
The shooting happened hours before the start of school at about 4:45 a.m. Orange County sheriff's investigators say the deputy tried to pull the man over for a traffic violation after he drove through a gate and into the school parking lot.
The suspect crashed through a gate near the athletic field. The deputy fired at least one shot, hitting the driver and wounding him.
"I believe the suspect was outside the vehicle, but that's still under investigation," said O.C. County Sheriff's Department spokesman Jim Amormino. "As the suspect's vehicle was being towed it did appear that the driver's window was shot out, but again how that occurred, I do not have that information."
It was not clear why the deputy opened fire. The driver's name has not been released.
The O.C. District Attorney's Office is investigating the incident.
deputy-involved shooting, orange county news
- Metro votes to keep ExpressLanes program 16 min ago
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 46 min ago
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged 58 min ago
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed