Orange County News
Obama wraps up SoCal trip, heads to San Francisco
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- President Barack Obama wrapped up his Southern California trip on Thursday with a visit to Orange County.
The Southland trip was a short but lucrative one for Obama and his campaign. Supporters donated $10,000 each just for a picture with him in Corona del Mar and $35,000 for breakfast.
But outside the event, protesters reminded the president that the O.C. is still the home turf of the GOP. They held up signs, some reading "OMG - Obama Must Go."
While conservatives complained, supporters praised the administration for bringing about real change in the country.
"If the Republicans get into power in the next presidential election, then that will go backwards. We'll fall back into recession, so we strongly feel that we need to re-elect President Obama," Cynthia Dubose, an Obama supporter.
There were also protesters outside the president's event in Holmby Hills Wednesday night.
The star-studded fundraiser was held at the home of soap opera producer Bradley Bell and hosted by actor Will Ferrell and his wife. Among the entertainment was a performance by the band Foo Fighters, who won five Grammy Awards on Sunday night.
He told supporters at the fundraiser that the 2012 election will be much harder than the 2008 election. He said people are hurting and "needs us to do more."
The cost of dining with the president was nearly $36,000. Some attendees paid $500 just to see him.
This is the second trip to Orange County for the president and the ninth time he's come to Southern California while in office. Six of those trips were strictly to raise money to campaign, and it's paid off.
The entertainment industry has deep pockets, and most of that money usually goes to Democrats.
Thursday's fundraiser was organized by a person in the real estate industry. The exact amount of money raised in Orange County remains unknown, but the estimates are around $1 million.
The president left Los Angeles International Airport shortly before noon and headed to San Francisco. He is scheduled to travel to the Seattle area on Friday.
Obama is expected to have raised more than $8 million before returning home from his West Coast trip.
president barack obama, republican party, democratic party, orange county news
- London theater partial collapse; 80+ hurt 4 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected 1 min ago
- 21 hospitalized in Riverside County bus crash 27 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis