Orange County News
Pedestrian critically injured in another OC hit-and-run crash
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A female pedestrian was hit by a vehicle in Santa Ana, adding to a rash of hit-and-run crashes in the area.
The incident happened at about 6:30 a.m. Thursday on the 1300 block of West Elder Avenue near Bristol Street. The suspect car blew through a stop sign and hit the victim, who was crossing an intersection, walking northbound on Bristol Street.
The victim, described to be in her 50s or 60s, was walking along an unmarked crosswalk.
"It appears that whatever the vehicle was that hit her didn't stop for the stop sign, struck her and knocked her into the No. 3 lane of southbound Bristol," described Santa Ana Police Department Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.
The victim was transported to Western Medical Center, where she was listed in critical condition and treated for head trauma.
"When the officers got here, she was unable to tell us what happened," Bertagna described.
The crash is just one of at least four incidents involving cars and pedestrians in Orange County in little over a week.
Theresa Pham suffered serious injuries when a driver hit the 13-year-old as she rode her bike in a crosswalk in Santa Ana a week ago. After the story aired on Eyewitness News, exclusive video captured the suspected 65-year-old driver, Arif Abdul Sattar, as he surrendered to police.
Santa Ana police are stepping up enforcement at crosswalks. Thursday, officers conducted a pedestrian crosswalk program. Four officers were posted at the intersections of Main and Walnut, and Broadway and Walnut streets, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
They were there to urge drivers and pedestrians to be extra careful.
In Thursday morning's accident, police are hoping the driver responsible will also do the right thing.
"Obviously, Bristol is a main thoroughfare. There would have been a lot of people out here at that time driving to work. So if somebody saw something, please give us a call," said Bertagna.
Authorities do not have a description of the hit-and-run vehicle.
If you have any information regarding the incident, you're urged to contact the Santa Ana Police Department at (714) 245-8214.
hit and run, car crash, orange county news, eileen frere
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway 50 min ago
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax 22 min ago
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- South Korea ferry sinks; hundreds rescued 35 min ago
- Google Glass raises public privacy concerns 59 min ago
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
22 min ago