Orange County News
Pedestrian critically injured in another OC hit-and-run crash
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A female pedestrian was hit by a vehicle in Santa Ana, adding to a rash of hit-and-run crashes in the area.
The incident happened at about 6:30 a.m. Thursday on the 1300 block of West Elder Avenue near Bristol Street. The suspect car blew through a stop sign and hit the victim, who was crossing an intersection, walking northbound on Bristol Street.
The victim, described to be in her 50s or 60s, was walking along an unmarked crosswalk.
"It appears that whatever the vehicle was that hit her didn't stop for the stop sign, struck her and knocked her into the No. 3 lane of southbound Bristol," described Santa Ana Police Department Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.
The victim was transported to Western Medical Center, where she was listed in critical condition and treated for head trauma.
"When the officers got here, she was unable to tell us what happened," Bertagna described.
The crash is just one of at least four incidents involving cars and pedestrians in Orange County in little over a week.
Theresa Pham suffered serious injuries when a driver hit the 13-year-old as she rode her bike in a crosswalk in Santa Ana a week ago. After the story aired on Eyewitness News, exclusive video captured the suspected 65-year-old driver, Arif Abdul Sattar, as he surrendered to police.
Santa Ana police are stepping up enforcement at crosswalks. Thursday, officers conducted a pedestrian crosswalk program. Four officers were posted at the intersections of Main and Walnut, and Broadway and Walnut streets, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
They were there to urge drivers and pedestrians to be extra careful.
In Thursday morning's accident, police are hoping the driver responsible will also do the right thing.
"Obviously, Bristol is a main thoroughfare. There would have been a lot of people out here at that time driving to work. So if somebody saw something, please give us a call," said Bertagna.
Authorities do not have a description of the hit-and-run vehicle.
If you have any information regarding the incident, you're urged to contact the Santa Ana Police Department at (714) 245-8214.
hit and run, car crash, orange county news, eileen frere
- Charges expected against sheriff's officials 3 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- 1 dead, 1 hurt in unrelated Pomona shootings 10 min ago
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis