Orange County News
Sisters save dad in shock behind the wheel
RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- Two young sisters from Rancho Santa Margarita have quite a story to tell.
Natalie, 7, and sister Lauren, 5, were in the back seat of their father's car Monday afternoon on their way home from miniature golf when their father went into diabetic shock.
"First, I told him if he was all right, but he didn't answer me, so I had to unbuckle and I had to get on top of him to reach his phone and called 911," Natalie said.
Dispatcher Myra Langdon took Natalie's call. Langdon says that in her 14 years working as a 911 dispatcher, this was the first call to really scare her.
"You have a 7-year-old girl in the car, she's crying, she knows there's something wrong with her father, she doesn't know where she's at and the car is moving," Langdon said.
Somehow, the father kept driving while in shock and never crashed. The car finally came to a stop near Pacific Coast Highway and Copper Lantern Street in Dana point.
At least one other driver called 911 to report a man driving erratically on the 5 Freeway.
Natalie and her sister managed to keep each other calm.
"I was holding her arm," Lauren said. "I was trying to keep her calm, I was telling her everything would be OK, try to be brave, pray to God."
Amazingly, no one was hurt during the ordeal but it's an experience neither one of the girls will ever forget.
"I was scared and I didn't know," Natalie said. "I thought my life would end."
rescue, orange county news, jovana lara
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver 43 min ago
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants 19 min ago
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- Cold front moves across Southern California 46 min ago
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Ventura growers protect crops from freezing
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film
- Gabor husband, daughter fight over spending
26 min ago
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
48 min ago