Orange County News
Sisters save dad in shock behind the wheel
RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- Two young sisters from Rancho Santa Margarita have quite a story to tell.
Natalie, 7, and sister Lauren, 5, were in the back seat of their father's car Monday afternoon on their way home from miniature golf when their father went into diabetic shock.
"First, I told him if he was all right, but he didn't answer me, so I had to unbuckle and I had to get on top of him to reach his phone and called 911," Natalie said.
Dispatcher Myra Langdon took Natalie's call. Langdon says that in her 14 years working as a 911 dispatcher, this was the first call to really scare her.
"You have a 7-year-old girl in the car, she's crying, she knows there's something wrong with her father, she doesn't know where she's at and the car is moving," Langdon said.
Somehow, the father kept driving while in shock and never crashed. The car finally came to a stop near Pacific Coast Highway and Copper Lantern Street in Dana point.
At least one other driver called 911 to report a man driving erratically on the 5 Freeway.
Natalie and her sister managed to keep each other calm.
"I was holding her arm," Lauren said. "I was trying to keep her calm, I was telling her everything would be OK, try to be brave, pray to God."
Amazingly, no one was hurt during the ordeal but it's an experience neither one of the girls will ever forget.
"I was scared and I didn't know," Natalie said. "I thought my life would end."
rescue, orange county news, jovana lara
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 57 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 33 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 12 min ago
- Missing flight's last words were routine
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine 5 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer won't seek third term 6 min ago
- Ukraine accuses Russia of military buildup 42 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions 41 min ago
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons