Orange County News
Ocampo under 24-hour observation at OC Jail
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- The former Marine accused of killing four homeless men and two others in Orange County is under 24-hour observation at the Orange County Jail.
Itzcoatl Ocampo's attorney Randall Longwith says Ocampo slammed his head on a toilet seat in his cell. He says the 23-year-old Yorba Linda resident, who is being housed alone, has suffered from severe headaches and twitching since finishing his tour of duty in Iraq.
"(Ocampo) looked awful, he was shaking," Longwith said.
Ocampo also claims to hear voices, telling his lawyer he wanted to make it stop.
Longwith said he has not yet decided whether to use an insanity defense, but stressed that Ocampo was affected by his eight months in Iraq. While he did not see combat, his attorney said Ocampo drove a truck and would have to deal with wounded and deceased people.
Ocampo is due back in court on Friday.
City News Service contributed to this report.
murder, homicide investigation, arrest, orange county news
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 6 min ago
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 46 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures 3 min ago
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Russia would welcome Crimea, says top lawmaker
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy' 52 min ago
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)