Orange County News
Ocampo under 24-hour observation at OC Jail
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- The former Marine accused of killing four homeless men and two others in Orange County is under 24-hour observation at the Orange County Jail.
Itzcoatl Ocampo's attorney Randall Longwith says Ocampo slammed his head on a toilet seat in his cell. He says the 23-year-old Yorba Linda resident, who is being housed alone, has suffered from severe headaches and twitching since finishing his tour of duty in Iraq.
"(Ocampo) looked awful, he was shaking," Longwith said.
Ocampo also claims to hear voices, telling his lawyer he wanted to make it stop.
Longwith said he has not yet decided whether to use an insanity defense, but stressed that Ocampo was affected by his eight months in Iraq. While he did not see combat, his attorney said Ocampo drove a truck and would have to deal with wounded and deceased people.
Ocampo is due back in court on Friday.
City News Service contributed to this report.
murder, homicide investigation, arrest, orange county news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 13 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43 18 min ago
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role