Orange County News
Sex offender arrested for assaulting 13-year-old boy in Tustin Library
TUSTIN, Calif. (KABC) -- A 23-year-old Anaheim man was arrested Friday for allegedly sexually assaulting a 13-year-old boy at a library in Tustin.
The boy was studying at the Tustin Library at 345 E. Main Street after school when he was approached by Robert Howard Claudio. Tustin police say Claudio convinced the boy into going to the bathroom and then sodomized him inside.
"The suspect strikes up a conversation with him and through the course of the conversation they ended up in the restroom and the sexual assault occurred," said Lt. Pat Welch of the Tustin Police Department.
The boy fled and immediately reported the incident to police at a nearby station. Around the same time, Claudio left the library, spotted a civilian police services officer, told him that he's a registered sex offender and confessed to the incident.
"He related that something had happened inside the library and they might be looking for him," Welch said.
More police officers were called and Claudio was immediately detained. The boy was treated at a nearby hospital.
Authorities said the victim positively identified Claudio as the suspect who assaulted him. Claudio was arrested and was interviewed by investigators.
Residents said they were in disbelief that such an act could occur in the library.
"That's a place where all the kids are supposed to be able to go and be safe and learn," said Bonnie Guilana of Tustin.
Claudio was booked for sodomy of a minor and committing lewd and lascivious acts with a child under the age of 14.
If you have any information regarding this case, you're urged to contact the Tustin Police Department at (714) 573-3248.
sex crimes, sexual assault, arrest, orange county news, leanne suter
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete 44 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 3 min ago
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder 24 min ago
- Vinny Del Negro out as LA Clippers coach
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- LA voters to decide future of marijuana shops
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia 35 min ago
- SF 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10