Orange County News
Rancho Santa Margarita deputy-involved shooting injures suspect
RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- An investigation is under way in Rancho Santa Margarita following a deputy-involved shooting in the 32000 block of Meadow Park Lane on Saturday.
Authorities said at around 12:40 p.m. a deputy attempted to stop a motorcycle for alleged speeding.
"The rider did not yield to the deputy and he fled," said Jason Park from Orange County Sheriff's Department. "The deputy recognized the rider from a previous contact and came to the house where he believed the suspect may have lived."
Park said the suspect contacted the deputy in front of the house, which resulted in an officer-involved shooting. The suspect was shot and transported to a local hospital. Authorities said he is expected to survive.
Neighbor Bryan Bowers was on his way to the grocery store when he saw two officers coming up the hill. He said it's an uncommon sight on his street.
"I called my wife and said to check the police blog, maybe there was something going on," said Bowers. "About five minutes later as I was in the store I got a text from my wife saying that she had heard shots fired and she was freaking out."
Bowers said his wife heard five shots, but investigators wouldn't disclose how many times the suspect was shot. They also aren't releasing what prior contact he had with law enforcement.
Authorities have not released the suspect's identity. The O.C. District Attorney's Office is investigating the officer's use of force, as well as the interaction which prompted the shooting. Investigators said they did not recover a weapon from the suspect.
deputy-involved shooting, orange county news, melissa macbride
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 35 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)