Orange County News
Rev. Robert Schuller, wife resign from Crystal Cathedral board
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- The Rev. Robert Schuller and his wife Arvella have resigned from the board of the Crystal Cathedral in Orange County, four decades after founding the televangelist ministry.
The couple's daughter, Carol Schuller Milner, said her parents stepped down because they and the board couldn't agree on a deal for housing benefits and fees for using her father's writings and sermons.
"We cannot continue to serve on the Board in what has become an adversarial and negative atmosphere especially since it now seems that it will not be ending anytime soon," Arvella Schuller said in a statement.
Robert Schuller, who is known for the "Hour of Power" broadcast, retired from day-to-day operations in 2006. Last month, the sale of the cathedral to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange was finalized in a $57.5 million bankruptcy deal.
Turmoil in the ministry included the firings of Schuller's daughter Gretchen Penner and two sons-in-law in the past week.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street 17 min ago
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere