Orange County News
Rev. Robert Schuller, wife resign from Crystal Cathedral board
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- The Rev. Robert Schuller and his wife Arvella have resigned from the board of the Crystal Cathedral in Orange County, four decades after founding the televangelist ministry.
The couple's daughter, Carol Schuller Milner, said her parents stepped down because they and the board couldn't agree on a deal for housing benefits and fees for using her father's writings and sermons.
"We cannot continue to serve on the Board in what has become an adversarial and negative atmosphere especially since it now seems that it will not be ending anytime soon," Arvella Schuller said in a statement.
Robert Schuller, who is known for the "Hour of Power" broadcast, retired from day-to-day operations in 2006. Last month, the sale of the cathedral to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange was finalized in a $57.5 million bankruptcy deal.
Turmoil in the ministry included the firings of Schuller's daughter Gretchen Penner and two sons-in-law in the past week.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- Bell corruption trial: Jury reaches verdict 6 min ago
- Charges announced against sheriff's officials
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death 32 min ago
- 'Button-down' Bandit' strikes Corona bank
- Pomona gang member arrested for murder
- Man arrested for Ventura transient's murder
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- Leighton Meester to make Broadway debut
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke