Orange County News
Bonfires in Balboa, Big Corona coming to an end as Newport Beach votes to remove pits
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- The Newport Beach City Council unanimously voted Tuesday to remove all 60 fire pits at Big Corona state beach and the Balboa Pier area.
The council cited health concerns as the primary reason for the controversial decision, but also said they want a cleaner beach and to save the $50,000 it costs every year to maintain the pits.
"We say you can't smoke on our public beaches, you can't smoke in our public parks. This is a logical step," said the city's mayor, Nancy Gardner.
She conceded that "people don't like it." The rings have been popular with beachgoers as far back as the 1960s.
"It's a shame to see them go," said Balboa resident Patrick Moore. "They're in a good, open spot. I remember coming to them as a kid and having a lot of fun. To my knowledge they don't create any trouble."
Some beachfront residents and other beachgoers complained about the smoke and mess created by the pits.
"There are still lots of things to do at the beach, but also if your idea of fun is really tied to the fire rings, then Huntington Beach, our neighboring city, they have 200," Gardner said. "You don't have to drive very far to have that enjoyment."
The City Council still has to obtain a permit from the California Coastal Commission in order to remove the fire pits.
orange county news, jovana lara
- Echo Park apartment fire kills 2, injures 2
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days
- Mandela interpreter cites hallucinations
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- Arleta deadly road rage suspect identified
- Car slams into Ventura house; driver arrested
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- Woman in newlywed murder agrees to plea deal 1 min ago
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Wal-Mart ban stemmed from alleged threat
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace'
- OTRC: Lea Michele talks about Cory Monteith (Video) 32 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
9 min ago