Orange County News
Newport Harbor HS basketball coach gets threats; team members among suspects
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- The Newport Harbor High School boys' basketball program has been suspended indefinitely because of threats against the coach and his wife.
School Principal Michael Vossen sent an email to players' parents notifying them on Saturday.
Coach Larry Hirst said the threats were of a physical nature. Hirst, 50, took a leave of absence as coach in January amid a 10-game losing streak.
Vossen said possible suspects include individuals associated with the school's basketball program. Police are investigating.
Mark Okey, whose son is on the team, told the Orange County Register the threats were in the form of letters left at Hirst's home in Huntington Beach. Another was left on a car driven by Hirst's wife, Sheridan, who is a teacher at Newport Harbor.
Okey said six players, including his son, were pulled out of class on March 13 and questioned by campus police.
City News Service contributed to this report.
school, orange county news
- Boston Marathon runners show resilience 7 min ago
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill
- Viewing to be held for LA police officer 8 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 59 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
40 min ago