Orange County News
Problems at San Onofre: wear found on tubes
SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. (KABC) -- There's more problems at the troubled San Onofre nuclear power plant. Southern California Edison says it has found more unusual wear on tubes that carry radioactive water in its Unit 2 generator.
It's similar to a problem found at the Unit 3 generator.
San Onofre has been shutdown now for two months.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission says the plant will remain closed until investigators can determine the cause of the wear in the equipment, and then fix it.
The new findings come just days after NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko signaled that Unit 2 might be able to go back into service more quickly than its twin.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees