Orange County News
Gray whale entangled in net near San Onofre
SAN ONOFRE, Calif. (KABC) -- Crews worked to rescue a gray whale entangled in fishing line off the coast of San Onofre on Tuesday afternoon.
According to the Pacific Marine Mammal Center, it was an older 40-foot whale that was towing approximately 50-100 feet of line on its left pectoral fin.
"They successfully attached three buoys to the animal. They have not yet gotten in an ideal position to start cutting away that line," said Melissa Sciacca of the Pacific Marine Mammal Center.
The crew also found that there was more fishing line entangled in the whale's mouth.
"We had a 40- to 45-foot whale let us know in no uncertain terms that it did not like what we were trying to do for it," said Dana Friedman, one of the rescuers.
Rescuers were able to free a portion of the line, but had to suspend the operation for the night. They will resume Wednesday morning. Three large bright buoys are marking the whale's location. They determined the whale was in good health.
animal news, orange county news
- Moorpark High on lockdown after threat made 2 min ago
- Rain, winds move into Southern California 5 min ago
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Body found in Corona; investigation underway
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped 45 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis 49 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
5 min ago