Orange County News
Gray whale entangled in net near San Onofre
SAN ONOFRE, Calif. (KABC) -- Crews worked to rescue a gray whale entangled in fishing line off the coast of San Onofre on Tuesday afternoon.
According to the Pacific Marine Mammal Center, it was an older 40-foot whale that was towing approximately 50-100 feet of line on its left pectoral fin.
"They successfully attached three buoys to the animal. They have not yet gotten in an ideal position to start cutting away that line," said Melissa Sciacca of the Pacific Marine Mammal Center.
The crew also found that there was more fishing line entangled in the whale's mouth.
"We had a 40- to 45-foot whale let us know in no uncertain terms that it did not like what we were trying to do for it," said Dana Friedman, one of the rescuers.
Rescuers were able to free a portion of the line, but had to suspend the operation for the night. They will resume Wednesday morning. Three large bright buoys are marking the whale's location. They determined the whale was in good health.
animal news, orange county news
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting 18 min ago
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Wildfire breaks out in north Moreno Valley 6 min ago
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Man killed when Amtrak train collides with car
- AZ sheriff's office profiles Latinos - judge
- Communications satellite launched into space
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert