Orange County News
Gray whale rescue: crews search for whale
SAN ONOFRE, Calif. (KABC) -- The 40-foot gray whale that rescuers tried to free from fishing line on Tuesday has yet to be seen on Wednesday.
"The fog moved in really thick, so it's making it real hard to relocate him. Hopefully, he's just circulating around our area right here," said Mike Hansen of Dana Wharf Sportfishing and Whale Watching.
The animal was last seen around 6 p.m. Tuesday about 10 miles off the coast of San Onofre. A crew from the Pacific Marine Mammal Center said the whale was towing about 50 to 100 feet of fishing line on its left pectoral fin. Another line was stuck in the whale's mouth.
"He did not want us to even get near him, so it was a challenge for sure," said Dean Gomersall with the Pacific Marine Mammal Center.
Rescuers were bumped once by the whale, but the team managed to attach three buoys to the animal to track it and got close enough to cut away about 100 feet of fishing line before having to suspend the operation for the night.
Officials believe the thick line was once connected to a crab or lobster pot. If they don't get to the whale soon, the otherwise healthy whale could be in trouble.
"The fishing gear that's getting wrapped on these whales is all coming out of south of the border because we just don't do that in California," Hansen said.
Officials with the Pacific Marine Mammal Center said this is the third whale caught in fishing gear they've had to rescue in the past month.
Crews say it could take hours and possibly even days to locate the whale. Anyone that sees the whale was urged not to approach it.
Whale watching captains at Dana Point Harbor said they're planning to keep a lookout to help the Coast Guard in their search.
animal news, rescue, orange county news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 11 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will 36 min ago
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere
- 'Ransomware' holds encrypted data for money
44 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
19 min ago