Orange County News
Santa Ana High School student shot near campus
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A student was shot near the Santa Ana High School campus Friday afternoon.
The shooting, which happened about two blocks from campus, was reported at 3:18 p.m. as students were released at the end of the school day.
A 16-year-old Hispanic boy was walking home from school westbound on the 900 block of Walnut Street with a friend when a suspect walked up from behind, came around to the front and shot the victim once in the abdomen. The suspect then ran away.
The suspect was described as a Hispanic male, 5 feet 7 inches tall, with a thick build. He was wearing a black sweatshirt with the hood pulled over his head.
The student was transported in critical condition to Western Medical Hospital. Santa Ana Police said the victim does not appear to be a gang member.
Santa Ana Police were working with the school's police to determine if there were indications during the school day of any disputes brewing.
A stabbing was later reported at on West Halesworth Street in Santa Ana. Police said it was not related to the Walnut Street shooting. The stabbing occurred at 3:30 p.m. at 406 West Halesworth. The victim is a 19-year-old suspected gang member.
A second shooting was reported at 4:35 p.m. near the stabbing scene, at 10th Street and Riverine Avenue. A 21-year-old Hispanic man was found fatally shot inside a vehicle. Police said the second shooting was gang-related, and may have been connected to the stabbing.
Anyone with information on any of these cases is asked to call the Santa Ana Police Department at (714) 245-8648.
shooting, orange county news
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 54 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 29 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
41 min ago