Orange County News
Santa Ana High School student shot near campus
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A student was shot near the Santa Ana High School campus Friday afternoon.
The shooting, which happened about two blocks from campus, was reported at 3:18 p.m. as students were released at the end of the school day.
A 16-year-old Hispanic boy was walking home from school westbound on the 900 block of Walnut Street with a friend when a suspect walked up from behind, came around to the front and shot the victim once in the abdomen. The suspect then ran away.
The suspect was described as a Hispanic male, 5 feet 7 inches tall, with a thick build. He was wearing a black sweatshirt with the hood pulled over his head.
The student was transported in critical condition to Western Medical Hospital. Santa Ana Police said the victim does not appear to be a gang member.
Santa Ana Police were working with the school's police to determine if there were indications during the school day of any disputes brewing.
A stabbing was later reported at on West Halesworth Street in Santa Ana. Police said it was not related to the Walnut Street shooting. The stabbing occurred at 3:30 p.m. at 406 West Halesworth. The victim is a 19-year-old suspected gang member.
A second shooting was reported at 4:35 p.m. near the stabbing scene, at 10th Street and Riverine Avenue. A 21-year-old Hispanic man was found fatally shot inside a vehicle. Police said the second shooting was gang-related, and may have been connected to the stabbing.
Anyone with information on any of these cases is asked to call the Santa Ana Police Department at (714) 245-8648.
shooting, orange county news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees