Orange County News
Fullerton police shoot, kill man after chase
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Fullerton police shot and killed a man they said opened fire on them after a brief pursuit.
The incident happened shortly after 11 p.m. Thursday near Gilbert Street and Malvern Avenue.
Investigators said officers tried to pull over a driver who was running through stop signs in a residential area. The driver didn't stop, prompting a chase that reached speeds of 90 mph.
When the car crashed into a drainage ditch, two men ran away. Authorities said one of them opened fire on officers, so they fired back, killing the man. His identity was not immediately released. A weapon was recovered at the scene.
The other suspect, Diego Figueroa, 22, was arrested. Investigators said he is connected to a crime that happened in Fullerton two years ago.
"We have since determined that he is a listed suspect in a current homicide investigation that we are investigating from 2010 that involved a drive-by shooting," said Capt. Lorraine Jones of the Fullerton Police Department.
officer-involved shooting, orange county news, john gregory
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser 11 min ago
- Suspect killed in Alhambra PD station ID'ed
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns 26 min ago
- NorCal beach parking fee fight gets heated
- Frazier Park fire almost fully contained
- Obama addresses Morehouse College graduates
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut 53 min ago
- OTRC: Kelly Rowland in talks to be 'X Factor' judge