Orange County News
Fullerton pursuit shootout suspects identified
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- The Fullerton Police Dept. identified a man Monday killed by officers in a Thursday night shootout following a pursuit. A mug shot was released of his accomplice, who was arrested the same night.
Fullerton officers attempted to pull two suspects over for a traffic stop at about 11:15 p.m. Thursday near Euclid Street and Wilshire Avenue. The driver failed to yield and led police on a pursuit.
The suspect driver crashed the stolen vehicle in a flood-control channel at Malvern Avenue and Gilbert Street, according to police. One suspect escaped from the vehicle and hid in a tunnel in the channel. As officers searched for the suspect, he emerged and fired at officers, who returned fire, fatally striking him, according to police. The suspect was declared dead at the scene.
The second suspect was arrested and booked at the Fullerton Police Dept. Jail on charges stemming from the incident, police said.
Police said Monday the deceased suspect was Aurelio Paul Ramos-Navarette, 22, of Buena Park.
The arrested suspect was identified as 22-year-old Diego Figueroa. Figueroa was scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday.
officer-involved shooting, orange county news
- Artesia hit-run accident leaves woman dead
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- Protests against Monsanto held around world
- Boy on bicycle killed by truck in Simi Valley 34 min ago
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide