Orange County News
Rocks from beach catch fire in woman's pocket - exclusive
SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman literally burned a hole in her pocket from rocks collected on a family beach trip to San Clemente. In an Eyewitness News exclusive, authorities say the woman suffered serious burns.
The rocks contain various colors - some green, some orange. There were seven of them altogether, collected by a San Clemente family during a fun morning at Upper Trestles on San Onofre State Beach last Saturday.
"The daughters were playing with the rocks, and she took them away, and I guess basically, they combusted in her pocket due to friction," said neighbor Jacob.
Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Marc Stone said there were actual flames coming off the woman's cargo shorts.
"We found that a 43-year-old female did have severe burns to her leg, second- and third-degree burns," Stone said.
The incident remains under investigation. The county's health care agency says they're waiting for further test results on the rocks, but they believe two of them contained a phosphorus substance. The other five became cross-contaminated by being together in the victim's pocket when the reaction happened.
How phosphorus rocks could have ended up on the beach is unclear, but county officials say environmental health workers visited the area and did not find a public safety problem - only adding to the mystery of how it could happen.
"I talked with the paramedic today. He's been on numerous calls for 27 years. He's never seen anything like it," Stone said.
Authorities say the woman's husband also suffered burns to his hands as he was trying to help his wife.
orange county news, eileen frere
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 13 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- Suspects approach women at UC Riverside dorm
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 11 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts