Orange County News
Slain Camp Pendleton Marine's family sues OC Sheriff's Department
SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. (KABC) -- The family of a Marine who was shot and killed by an Orange County sheriff's deputy is suing the deputy, the sheriff and the county.
The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Phoebe Loggins, the widow of Sgt. Manuel Levi Loggins Jr., and their four daughters. The wrongful death and civil rights lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.
The lawsuit alleges Deputy Darren Sandberg violated Loggins' rights against unreasonable search and seizure.
Sandberg shot Loggins, 31, in the parking lot of San Clemente High School on Feb. 7. Loggins had crashed his GMC Yukon through a gate and apparently refused the deputy's orders.
The sheriff's department says Sandberg feared for the safety of Loggins' two daughters who were in the SUV. However, the suit accuses Sandberg of using excessive force in the incident, and that Loggins made no aggressive movements or gestures that would suggest he was armed.
The family's attorney earlier filed a wrongful death claim against the county, a necessary legal step before filing a lawsuit. The claim was rejected, leading to the lawsuit.
The Orange County District Attorney's Office is investigating the shooting.
deputy-involved shooting, orange county news
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company 8 min ago
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies 43 min ago
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report