Orange County News
Fullerton begins process to fire cops in Kelly Thomas death
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- The two Fullerton police officers charged with killing a homeless man could end up losing their jobs. The department began the process to remove Manuel Ramos and Jay Cicinelli from the force.
The officers still have several chances to appeal.
A judge on Tuesday delayed their arraignment to give defense attorneys more time to work on a motion to dismiss the charges. The arraigned was delayed to June 26.
Thomas, a schizophrenic homeless man, died last July after a confrontation with police officers. He was allegedly trying to break into cars at the bus depot at the Fullerton Transportation Center.
Prosecutors allege Ramos punched Thomas in the ribs and tackled him to the ground, and minutes later Cicinelli Tasered him several times and struck him in the face eight times with the Taser.
Ramos is charged with second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in Thomas' death. Cicinelli faces charges of involuntary manslaughter and use of excessive force.
CORRECTION: It was previously reported that Manuel Ramos had been fired, but authorities clarified that Ramos has received a letter of intent to discipline/dismiss. This letter starts the process, but the officer has several chances to appeal.
court case, orange county news
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 15 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than thought
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
3 min ago