Orange County News
Fullerton begins process to fire cops in Kelly Thomas death
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- The two Fullerton police officers charged with killing a homeless man could end up losing their jobs. The department began the process to remove Manuel Ramos and Jay Cicinelli from the force.
The officers still have several chances to appeal.
A judge on Tuesday delayed their arraignment to give defense attorneys more time to work on a motion to dismiss the charges. The arraigned was delayed to June 26.
Thomas, a schizophrenic homeless man, died last July after a confrontation with police officers. He was allegedly trying to break into cars at the bus depot at the Fullerton Transportation Center.
Prosecutors allege Ramos punched Thomas in the ribs and tackled him to the ground, and minutes later Cicinelli Tasered him several times and struck him in the face eight times with the Taser.
Ramos is charged with second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in Thomas' death. Cicinelli faces charges of involuntary manslaughter and use of excessive force.
CORRECTION: It was previously reported that Manuel Ramos had been fired, but authorities clarified that Ramos has received a letter of intent to discipline/dismiss. This letter starts the process, but the officer has several chances to appeal.
court case, orange county news
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 23 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
28 min ago