Orange County News
OC cooking grease theft suspect arrested
DANA POINT, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was arrested for allegedly stealing used cooking grease from an Orange County grocery store.
Orange County sheriff's deputies were called to an Albertsons store in Dana Point, where a man reportedly was seen taking grease from a grease trap.
They found the suspect, identified as 24-year-old Salvador Alvizar, driving a few blocks away and arrested him. It was the second time the grocery store was hit by a grease theft.
"The theft of used cooking grease has gone up across the United States due to the high price of gasoline and the used cooking grease is turned into biodiesel fuels," said Jim Amormino with the O.C. Sheriff's Department.
Police believe Alvizar works for a waste management company which contracts with local businesses to turn used grease into biofuel. Officials say the company did not have a contract with the Albertsons involved in the theft.
arrest, orange county news
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 22 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 54 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 38 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 51 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
39 min ago