Orange County News
OC cooking grease theft suspect arrested
DANA POINT, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was arrested for allegedly stealing used cooking grease from an Orange County grocery store.
Orange County sheriff's deputies were called to an Albertsons store in Dana Point, where a man reportedly was seen taking grease from a grease trap.
They found the suspect, identified as 24-year-old Salvador Alvizar, driving a few blocks away and arrested him. It was the second time the grocery store was hit by a grease theft.
"The theft of used cooking grease has gone up across the United States due to the high price of gasoline and the used cooking grease is turned into biodiesel fuels," said Jim Amormino with the O.C. Sheriff's Department.
Police believe Alvizar works for a waste management company which contracts with local businesses to turn used grease into biofuel. Officials say the company did not have a contract with the Albertsons involved in the theft.
arrest, orange county news
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 56 min ago
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks