Orange County News
OC cooking grease theft suspect arrested
DANA POINT, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was arrested for allegedly stealing used cooking grease from an Orange County grocery store.
Orange County sheriff's deputies were called to an Albertsons store in Dana Point, where a man reportedly was seen taking grease from a grease trap.
They found the suspect, identified as 24-year-old Salvador Alvizar, driving a few blocks away and arrested him. It was the second time the grocery store was hit by a grease theft.
"The theft of used cooking grease has gone up across the United States due to the high price of gasoline and the used cooking grease is turned into biodiesel fuels," said Jim Amormino with the O.C. Sheriff's Department.
Police believe Alvizar works for a waste management company which contracts with local businesses to turn used grease into biofuel. Officials say the company did not have a contract with the Albertsons involved in the theft.
arrest, orange county news
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Secret Service probing Target security breach 6 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point 16 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- Fundraiser held for Corona football player
17 min ago