Orange County News
Crystal Cathedral megachurch gets new name
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- The iconic Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove has a new name - it is now the Christ Cathedral.
The announcement was made Saturday at St. Columbian Catholic Church, where four new priests were ordained.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange said Bishop Tod Brown chose the name, which was recently approved by the Vatican. He received more than 4,000 suggestions from all over the world.
Meanwhile, Christopher H. Smith has been chosen to oversee work at the cathedral to transform it into a Catholic place of worship.
The diocese recently purchased the cathedral and its grounds for nearly $58 million. The church used to house televangelist Robert Schuller, known for his "Hour of Power." Schuller retired in 2006 after seeing his ministry turn into a global televangelist empire. However, donations began to plummet in 2010, and the Crystal Cathedral sought bankruptcy protection.
The cathedral's original congregation will be relocated a mile away to St. Callistus Catholic Church, which will have to undergo renovations before the "Hour of Power" can be filmed there.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 10 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- Boy brings loaded gun to Garden Grove school
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed 36 min ago
- Mac and cheese gets upgrade at Beer Belly
50 min ago