Orange County News
Crystal Cathedral megachurch gets new name
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- The iconic Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove has a new name - it is now the Christ Cathedral.
The announcement was made Saturday at St. Columbian Catholic Church, where four new priests were ordained.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange said Bishop Tod Brown chose the name, which was recently approved by the Vatican. He received more than 4,000 suggestions from all over the world.
Meanwhile, Christopher H. Smith has been chosen to oversee work at the cathedral to transform it into a Catholic place of worship.
The diocese recently purchased the cathedral and its grounds for nearly $58 million. The church used to house televangelist Robert Schuller, known for his "Hour of Power." Schuller retired in 2006 after seeing his ministry turn into a global televangelist empire. However, donations began to plummet in 2010, and the Crystal Cathedral sought bankruptcy protection.
The cathedral's original congregation will be relocated a mile away to St. Callistus Catholic Church, which will have to undergo renovations before the "Hour of Power" can be filmed there.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 26 min ago
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale 11 min ago
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- NASA astronauts begin spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)