Orange County News
Crystal Cathedral megachurch gets new name
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- The iconic Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove has a new name - it is now the Christ Cathedral.
The announcement was made Saturday at St. Columbian Catholic Church, where four new priests were ordained.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange said Bishop Tod Brown chose the name, which was recently approved by the Vatican. He received more than 4,000 suggestions from all over the world.
Meanwhile, Christopher H. Smith has been chosen to oversee work at the cathedral to transform it into a Catholic place of worship.
The diocese recently purchased the cathedral and its grounds for nearly $58 million. The church used to house televangelist Robert Schuller, known for his "Hour of Power." Schuller retired in 2006 after seeing his ministry turn into a global televangelist empire. However, donations began to plummet in 2010, and the Crystal Cathedral sought bankruptcy protection.
The cathedral's original congregation will be relocated a mile away to St. Callistus Catholic Church, which will have to undergo renovations before the "Hour of Power" can be filmed there.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 12 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting 15 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 9 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre