Orange County News
Irvine named America's safest city for 8th consecutive year: FBI report
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- Irvine has been named America's safest city for the eighth year in a row.
The results come from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and its latest numbers on crime across the country.
According to a statement, Irvine's crime numbers remained virtually unchanged in 2011, making it the city with the lowest violent crime rate among cities with populations of more than 100,000 residents.
Irvine's mayor and police chief on Monday called the announcement "something to celebrate."
orange county news
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- UK attack driven by radical Islam - officials
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Virgin tops, Spirit flops in airline survey
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised 57 min ago