Orange County News
Irvine named America's safest city for 8th consecutive year: FBI report
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- Irvine has been named America's safest city for the eighth year in a row.
The results come from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and its latest numbers on crime across the country.
According to a statement, Irvine's crime numbers remained virtually unchanged in 2011, making it the city with the lowest violent crime rate among cities with populations of more than 100,000 residents.
Irvine's mayor and police chief on Monday called the announcement "something to celebrate."
orange county news
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Rain, winds move into Southern California
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades 49 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny 10 min ago
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'