Orange County News
Great Park to get 30-acre expansion in Irvine
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- Orange County's Great Park is getting a $22.8-million makeover that includes a 30-acre expansion.
The facelift will add four new tournament-quality soccer fields, four full-sized basketball courts and a jogging trail to the Irvine park.
Also on tap is a permanent visitor center, a community garden, six new ponds, various infrastructure improvements and an expansion of the Walkable Historical Timeline.
The funds for the project are part of the $200 million in developer fees the city of Irvine received under the 2012-2013 budget. Construction is slated to begin this summer and expected to be completed in mid-to-late 1213.
The construction is expected to bring more than 50 fulltime jobs to Orange County, according to a news statement released by the Orange County Great Parks Corporation.
orange county news
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Secret Service probing Target security breach
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds