Orange County News
Orange County boy to climb Africa's Mt. Kilimanjaro to raise funds for Duchenne muscular dystrophy
YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- An 8-year-old boy from Orange County hopes to become among the youngest to summit Tanzania's Mt. Kilimanjaro, the highest point in Africa.
"I've been training for this and I think I can actually do it because I've been training every day," Tyler Armstrong said.
Last year, Tyler became the youngest to summit Mt. Whitney in California in one day.
This time, he's climbing to raise money for a cause.
Tyler wants to find a cure for Duchenne muscular dystrophy, a devastating muscle-wasting disease that affects more than 300,000 boys around the world, including a few of his friends, like Wil Cook.
"I think it's cool he's climbing to raise money for Duchenne, Wil said.
Wil can still walk, but uses a wheelchair at times to conserve energy. The 12 year old was diagnosed with Duchenne five years ago.
"He was having trouble getting in and out of our SUV, climbing, going up and down stairs," said Tiffany cook, Wil's mother.
According to the Muscular Dystrophy Association, survival is rare beyond the person's early 30s.
Tyler's goal is to raise $1 for every foot he climbs. If he scales to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro, that means a total of $19,341.
Tyler embarks on his journey June 23. His father will be by his side during his eight-day climb.
children's health, charity, orange county news, eileen frere
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train 6 min ago
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator 21 min ago
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter