Orange County News
Orange County boy to climb Africa's Mt. Kilimanjaro to raise funds for Duchenne muscular dystrophy
YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- An 8-year-old boy from Orange County hopes to become among the youngest to summit Tanzania's Mt. Kilimanjaro, the highest point in Africa.
"I've been training for this and I think I can actually do it because I've been training every day," Tyler Armstrong said.
Last year, Tyler became the youngest to summit Mt. Whitney in California in one day.
This time, he's climbing to raise money for a cause.
Tyler wants to find a cure for Duchenne muscular dystrophy, a devastating muscle-wasting disease that affects more than 300,000 boys around the world, including a few of his friends, like Wil Cook.
"I think it's cool he's climbing to raise money for Duchenne, Wil said.
Wil can still walk, but uses a wheelchair at times to conserve energy. The 12 year old was diagnosed with Duchenne five years ago.
"He was having trouble getting in and out of our SUV, climbing, going up and down stairs," said Tiffany cook, Wil's mother.
According to the Muscular Dystrophy Association, survival is rare beyond the person's early 30s.
Tyler's goal is to raise $1 for every foot he climbs. If he scales to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro, that means a total of $19,341.
Tyler embarks on his journey June 23. His father will be by his side during his eight-day climb.
children's health, charity, orange county news, eileen frere
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations 29 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing 13 min ago
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)