Orange County News
Irvine parents allegedly planted drugs on volunteer
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- The parents of an Irvine elementary school student are accused of planting drugs on a parent volunteer at their son's school.
Jill and Kent Easter, both attorneys, were arrested on Tuesday and face felony charges. The 38-year-olds are accused of conspiring to try to have a parent volunteer at their son's elementary school in Irvine arrested.
Police allege Kent Easter placed a bag of drugs, including Vicodin and marijuana, in the woman's vehicle, then made up a fake name and called police on Feb. 16, 2011, claiming the volunteer had been driving erratically and was parked at Plaza Vista School. Officers responded to the scene and found drugs in her car.
"She was shocked. She had no idea where those items came from," said Irvine Police Lt. Julia Engen. "Things just didn't seem to add up."
The volunteer, who police referred to as Jane Doe, was detained for about two hours but not arrested. The investigation turned to the Easters.
Police say Kent Easter was caught on surveillance video at a hotel near his workplace in Newport Beach, calling police to report Jane Doe. The couple allegedly called and texted each other before and after the crime.
Tiffany Pan, the Easters' babysitter, says she's shocked.
"They're always so positive and happy, and I just can't imagine them even doing anything like this," Pan said.
Police say Jill Easter was upset with the parent volunteer because the couple believed the woman was not properly supervising their son.
The couple is scheduled to be arraigned on July 17 at the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana. They are being held on $20,000 bail.
arrest, school, orange county news, eileen frere
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Norwalk homicide investigation underway
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 52 min ago
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians