Orange County News
Huntington Beach hit-run kills bicyclist
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A bicyclist was killed in a hit-and-run accident in Huntington Beach on Friday, and police may have detained the man responsible.
The cyclist was struck on Pacific Coast Highway near Warner Avenue, not far from the Bolsa Chica Wetlands around 11:30 a.m. He was riding in the bike lane when he was hit. Witnesses saw the accident and got a description of the vehicle as it took off.
Later in the day, police detained a man behind the wheel of a vehicle that matched the description of the car that hit and killed the bicyclist.
"The vehicle was similar to the vehicle involved in our incident, and we're currently investigating that, and the driver possibly being related to our collision," said Huntington Beach Police Sgt. Jon Haught.
The driver is not under arrest. He was only detained for questioning Friday.
Police have not released the name of the cyclist who was killed.
hit and run, orange county news, melissa macbride
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'