Orange County News
Historic Sexlinger property, orange orchard in mediation
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Santa Ana commission has set up a special committee to help resolve a dispute between the owners of a historic orange orchard and those who want to preserve it.
At issue is the Sexlinger Farmhouse and the Valencia Orange Orchard, which contains 230 orange trees. The property is currently owned by Concordia University and Lutheran High School, which want to develop the property with 24 new single-family homes.
The Santa Ana City Council recently put it on the register of historic properties. The owners objected.
The Santa Ana Historic Resources Committee heard Thursday night from the Save Our Orchard Coalition.
"It's our goal to have the Sexlinger Farmhouse and Valencia Orange Orchard serve an important role in this community by bridging our past and our future," said Ryan Bensley, a member of the coalition.
The property is five acres and is worth millions. The Save Our Orchard Coalition has so far raised $10,000 to buy it.
orange county news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- TSA expands Pre-Check screening program in LA 19 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point 28 min ago
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients 54 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds