Orange County News
Yorba Linda boy, 8, summits Mt. Kilimanjaro
YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- An 8-year-old boy from Yorba Linda has succeeded in climbing Africa's Mt. Kilimanjaro, which could mean a new record.
Tyler Armstrong and his team reached the summit at around 12:30 a.m. PT Sunday, Eyewitness News learned. Armstrong was scheduled to be down the mountain by Monday.
Record officials have yet release any confirmation, but Armstrong's trek could make him the second youngest person ever to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, scaling more than 19,000 feet.
Eyewitness News caught up with Armstrong a few months ago while he was training.
The boy's efforts are all to raise money to help cure Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
children's health, charity, orange county news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 59 min ago
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies 27 min ago
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video