Orange County News
Yorba Linda boy, 8, summits Mt. Kilimanjaro
YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- An 8-year-old boy from Yorba Linda has succeeded in climbing Africa's Mt. Kilimanjaro, which could mean a new record.
Tyler Armstrong and his team reached the summit at around 12:30 a.m. PT Sunday, Eyewitness News learned. Armstrong was scheduled to be down the mountain by Monday.
Record officials have yet release any confirmation, but Armstrong's trek could make him the second youngest person ever to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, scaling more than 19,000 feet.
Eyewitness News caught up with Armstrong a few months ago while he was training.
The boy's efforts are all to raise money to help cure Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
children's health, charity, orange county news
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments