Orange County News
Yorba Linda boy, 8, summits Mt. Kilimanjaro
YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- An 8-year-old boy from Yorba Linda has succeeded in climbing Africa's Mt. Kilimanjaro, which could mean a new record.
Tyler Armstrong and his team reached the summit at around 12:30 a.m. PT Sunday, Eyewitness News learned. Armstrong was scheduled to be down the mountain by Monday.
Record officials have yet release any confirmation, but Armstrong's trek could make him the second youngest person ever to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, scaling more than 19,000 feet.
Eyewitness News caught up with Armstrong a few months ago while he was training.
The boy's efforts are all to raise money to help cure Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
children's health, charity, orange county news
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP 55 min ago
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement 49 min ago
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes 45 min ago
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew M. at 'Wolf' event