Orange County News
Yorba Linda boy, 8, summits Mt. Kilimanjaro
YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- An 8-year-old boy from Yorba Linda has succeeded in climbing Africa's Mt. Kilimanjaro, which could mean a new record.
Tyler Armstrong and his team reached the summit at around 12:30 a.m. PT Sunday, Eyewitness News learned. Armstrong was scheduled to be down the mountain by Monday.
Record officials have yet release any confirmation, but Armstrong's trek could make him the second youngest person ever to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, scaling more than 19,000 feet.
Eyewitness News caught up with Armstrong a few months ago while he was training.
The boy's efforts are all to raise money to help cure Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
children's health, charity, orange county news
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Winkler removed from Saugus school board
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Chrysler agrees to Jeep recall over fire risk
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy