Orange County News
Yorba Linda boy begins descent of Mt. Kilimanjaro
YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- An 8-year-old Yorba Linda boy who climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro over the weekend for a good cause is now descending the mountain.
Tyler Armstrong became the second youngest person ever to summit the mountain on Sunday. His climb serves to raise awareness and money to find a cure for Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
"I did it! I climbed to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro for my friends Hawken, Suhail and Wil and the other boys with Duchenne who can't climb," he said after summiting the mountain Sunday with his team, CureDuchenne's Hawken's Heroes.
Armstrong and the team began descending the mountain Monday and are expected to be finished Tuesday. The boy is scheduled to return to California next week.
Armstrong hopes to raise over $19,341, which is a dollar for every foot he climbed. So far, he has raised $9,700. To learn more about donating to Armstrong's cause, you can visit his website.
children's health, charity, orange county news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 10 min ago
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Laughing can improve memory 36 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 40 min ago
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour