Orange County News
Yorba Linda boy begins descent of Mt. Kilimanjaro
YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- An 8-year-old Yorba Linda boy who climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro over the weekend for a good cause is now descending the mountain.
Tyler Armstrong became the second youngest person ever to summit the mountain on Sunday. His climb serves to raise awareness and money to find a cure for Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
"I did it! I climbed to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro for my friends Hawken, Suhail and Wil and the other boys with Duchenne who can't climb," he said after summiting the mountain Sunday with his team, CureDuchenne's Hawken's Heroes.
Armstrong and the team began descending the mountain Monday and are expected to be finished Tuesday. The boy is scheduled to return to California next week.
Armstrong hopes to raise over $19,341, which is a dollar for every foot he climbed. So far, he has raised $9,700. To learn more about donating to Armstrong's cause, you can visit his website.
children's health, charity, orange county news
- Charges expected against sheriff's officials 19 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- 1 dead, 1 hurt in unrelated Pomona shootings
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Nelson Mandela memorial to see world leaders 38 min ago
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge 14 min ago
- Leighton Meester to make Broadway debut
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke