Orange County News
Santa Ana City Councilman Carlos Bustamante arrested, charged with sexual battery, assault
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Santa Ana City Councilman Carlos Bustamante was arrested on several charges Monday, including sexual battery, assault, stalking and false imprisonment.
According to a statement by the Orange County District Attorney, Bustamante was charged with:
- Six felony counts of false imprisonment
- Three felony counts of assault with the intent to commit a sexual offense
- One felony count of stalking
- One felony count of attempted sexual battery by restraint
- One felony count of grand theft by false pretense
- One misdemeanor count of battery
- One misdemeanor count of assault
- One misdemeanor count of sexual battery
- One misdemeanor count of attempted sexual battery
There was a sentencing enhancement allegation for committing the offenses as a result of sexual compulsion and for the purpose of sexual gratification, the statement said.
By late Monday night, the 47 year old was out on $100,000 bail."At this point I don't have any comment," Bustamante told Eyewitness News as he was released, adding that he was on his way home and that he wanted his privacy.
More information will be released Tuesday morning, officials said.
Bustamante's arrest comes nine months after he resigned as the executive manager of the Orange County Public Works Department amid allegations of sexual misconduct with co-workers. Anonymous letters were sent to the Orange County Register claiming Bustamante had sexual encounters with his employees.
At the time, Bustamante issued a statement to Eyewitness News saying the allegations were false. But the district attorney launched an investigation and on Monday night they arrested him on his way to a City Hall meeting. Bustamante, a married father of three, was first elected to the City Council in November 2004. His term ends this November.
arrest, sex crimes, orange county news, leslie miller
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 13 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet 4 min ago
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2