Orange County News
Carlos Bustamante sex accusations detailed by Orange County DA
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas described in graphic detail the alleged sexual crimes committed by Santa Ana City Councilman Carlos Bustamante during a press conference Tuesday.
"This case exemplifies an abuse of power, an abuse of position, abuse of women and abuse of trust," said Rackauckas.
Rackauckas said Bustamante's female coworkers had viewed Bustamante as a high-ranking and well-connected executive during his time at the Orange County Department of Public Works. The alleged victims were lured into Bustamante's office, cornered in elevators, stairwells and even his car.
"He touched their bare thighs, moved his hands up toward their vaginas on the upper part of the leg under skirts sometimes, grabbed their buttocks, exposed himself and he even masturbated in front of the victims on a number of occasions," said Rackauckas.
The married 47-year-old father of three was arrested Monday after a four-month investigation by the D.A. and posted his $100,000 bond the same night.
He spoke exclusively to Eyewitness News following his release, but said he had no comment and that he wanted his privacy.
Bustamante is accused of sexually assaulting at least seven women over an eight-year period, yet the D.A. says the victims were reluctant to come forward.
"They were very worried about what might happen, they thought it was a career suicide for them, that they would be punished in their jobs, that they would lose their jobs," said Rackauckas.
The charges and arrest come nine months after Bustamante resigned from his position at the county public works department amid allegations of sexual misconduct, which he denied.
He is also accused of committing grand theft of public funds, knowingly and fraudulently accepting reimbursements of up to $3,000 which he was never owed.
As an elected official, Bustamante must either resign from the Santa Ana City Council or be recalled.
arrest, sex crimes, orange county news, christina salvo
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- Vinny Del Negro out as LA Clippers coach
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls 14 min ago
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee 34 min ago
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- New ACL surgery technique reduces failure rate
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10