Orange County News
Orange County celebrates 4th with county-wide festivities
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Residents throughout Orange County celebrated the Fourth of July with parades, family and elaborate fireworks.
Huntington Beach residents were decked out in red, white and blue and celebrating the Fourth of July with a massive parade. The event is considered the largest parade west of the Mississippi River.
Residents began lining the parade route as early as Tuesday to get prime seating. Some even decorated their homes to match the festive mood. They say they don't mind the crowds on their lawns every year.
For the first time in 20 years, Huntington Beach has lifted its fireworks ban, allowing safe fireworks to be shot off from noon to 10 p.m. Wednesday. A large show including 1,300 rounds of fireworks is planned at 9 p.m. off the pier.
Others gathered for the 44th Annual Fourth of July Parade at Orange Park Acres in Orange -- a parade that never seems to lose its old-fashioned feel.
From the horses, representing the equestrian community, to the John Deere tractors, those marching in the parade are a reflection of life in the Orange County community. Crowds even celebrate with a traditional candy toss.
Finally, over 20,000 people were expected at the Joined Forces Training Base in Los Alamitos. Festivities there boasted a C-17 flyover at 6 p.m. and a 22-minute fireworks show, which is said to be one of the longest firework displays in Southern California. The show was slated for 9 p.m.
holiday, orange county news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 57 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor 47 min ago
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the 70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 47 min ago
- Holiday heart attack triggers to be aware of
59 min ago