Orange County News
Santa Ana Councilman Carlos Bustamante scandal: OC CEO Tom Mauk under fire
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- As the drama behind Santa Ana Councilman Carlos Bustamante's sexual harassment case continues to snowball, Orange County CEO Tom Mauk is coming under fire.
The Orange County Board of Supervisors gathered Friday for a closed-door meeting in Santa Ana. At issue is the handling of allegations against Bustamante while he was a county employee. During the meeting, no decision was made on the fate of Tom Mauk.
Bustamante is accused of sexually assaulting seven of his female co-workers while he was the director for Orange County Public Works. The 47-year-old is married with three children.
The supervisors are considering firing Mauk because they aren't happy with the way he handled the Bustamante situation in house. Many feel Mauk should have disciplined Bustamante years ago, seeing that a lot of the allegations go as far back as 2003.
Meanwhile, Bustamante could lose his current post as a Santa Ana city councilmember. His colleagues want him gone.
"When you're interfering with the city business, I really believe at this given time, my colleague should resign," said Santa Ana City Councilmember Michele Martinez. "I was hoping that he himself would write a letter of resignation. He hasn't done that."
Bustamante was in court on Thursday but did not enter a plea. His arraignment was rescheduled for July 26.
arrest, sex crimes, orange county news
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Brush fire scorches 575 acres in Castaic area
- Toddler, mom robbed by knife-wielding man
- Suspect killed inside Alhambra PD station
- Purse found in search for missing woman in IE
- Hacienda Heights soldier killed on 1st Iraq tour
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Laguna Beach sexual assault suspect sought
- Calif. unemployment rate falls to 9 percent
- OJ Simpson knew buddies had guns - ex-lawyer
- Conn. commuter trains collide, 60 injured
- abcnews: Plane crash sole survivor breaks silence
- Michael Jackson death trial attorneys clash
- OTRC: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' movie review