Orange County News
Kelly Thomas cop Manuel Ramos no longer working for city
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Manuel Ramos, one of the officers accused in the beating death of Kelly Thomas, is no longer working for the Fullerton Police Department, according to a city spokesman.
"While we cannot comment on personnel matters, I can confirm that Manuel Ramos is no longer employed by the City of Fullerton," Fullerton Police spokesman, Sgt. Jeff Stuart, said.
It was unclear if Ramos was fired or had resigned.
Thomas was severely injured in a confrontation with a group of Fullerton police officers on July 5, 2011. He died days later from his injuries.
Ramos was charged with second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter, while Cpl. Jay Cicinelli faces involuntary manslaughter charges in the beating. The arraignment for the two officers has already been postponed several times to give the defense more time to work on a motion to dismiss charges. They are scheduled to appear in court for an arraignment hearing on July 17.
legal, orange county news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 15 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 45 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor 5 min ago
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the 70s 34 min ago
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Gay couple plans wedding on Rose Parade float
25 min ago