Orange County News
Kelly Thomas beating death: Manuel Ramos, Jay Cicinelli plead not guilty
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Manuel Ramos and Jay Cicinelli, charged in the Kelly Thomas beating death, have pleaded not guilty at an arraignment hearing Friday.
Ron Thomas, father of Kelly Thomas, said he was just glad to see the case moving forward. The arraignment had been postponed several times to give the defense time to work on a motion to dismiss the charges.
Surveillance video captured the confrontation between Thomas and six Fullerton police officers on July 5, 2011. Thomas, a schizophrenic homeless man, died days later from his injuries.
Ramos was charged with second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter, while Cicinelli faces involuntary manslaughter charges in the beating.
District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said it may be several months before the trial actually begins, but said the incident is still fresh in the mind of the community and doesn't expect that to change.
"Watching what happened and seeing what took place on tape, and it really takes you to the event as it occurred ... I don't see how you can watch it without having a very strong human, emotional reaction," Rackauckas said.
Ron Thomas said he still wants the other four officers involved to face charges.
"We've talked about it even this morning," he said. "It is absolutely ongoing, and (Rackauckas) emphasized even today it is not a done deal, it's not over with."
Ramos is no longer working for the Fullerton Police Department, a city spokesman said Tuesday. It was unclear if Ramos was fired or had resigned. Cicinelli remains on unpaid administrative leave.
Their next court date is scheduled for July 27, where a trial date is expected to be set.
legal, court case, orange county news, darsha philips
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins 5 min ago
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- LA city attorney race: Mike Feuer wins 47 min ago
- Ron Galperin wins LA city controller race
- Huffing suspected in college student's death
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10