Orange County News
Irvine couple accused of planting drugs on volunteer goes to court
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- An Irvine couple made their first court appearance Monday for charges of planting drugs on a school volunteer.
Kent and Jill Easter, both 38, are accused of planting drugs in Kelly Peters' car because they were unhappy with her job performance at Plaza Vista School.
The two entered no pleas on Monday. Their arraignment has been continued to August 23.
The husband and wife, who are both lawyers, each face three felony counts of conspiracy and false imprisonment after prosecutors say the couple planted drugs in Peters' car because they felt she was ignoring their son.
Investigators are saying the crime was well-planned, and have also called the couple's alleged actions "irrational" and "over the top." They say the two planted marijuana and prescription drugs in Peters' unlocked car in the middle of the night. Kent Easter then called police the next day to report her. However, their plan unraveled upon further investigation.
Prosecutors say the evidence against the Eatsers is overwhelming.
"We do believe the evidence is very strong, we have text messages between the two defendants during the time we believe the drugs were planted in the car. We have DNA evidence of both defendants on the marijuana and prescription drugs as well as the marijuana pipe that was found in the victim's car. The victim's DNA was not on any of those items as well," said Christopher Duff, Orange County senior deputy district attorney.
Kent Easter was also captured on surveillance video making the anonymous phone call from a business center near his work. If convicted, Jill and Kent Easter could spend three years in state prison. They are out on $20,000 bail.
arrest, school, orange county news, darsha philips
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 36 min ago
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks