Orange County News
Mountain lion caught at Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park
RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- A mountain lion has been caught in the Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park in Trabuco Canyon, game wardens said.
State Fish and Game spokesman Andrew Hughan says the 100-pound male mountain lion was trapped, sedated and removed early Tuesday.
The park was closed after a mountain lion was spotted in the park on Sunday. The park has reopened, but Serrano Cow Trail remains closed as a precaution to check for any additional mountain lions, officials said.
The big cat was spotted Sunday morning by an Eyewitness News viewer who videotaped the encounter. Officials say the trapped animal is believed to be the same one.
In 2004, mountain biker Mark Reynolds was killed by a cougar lion in Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
animal news, orange county news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)