Orange County News
Mountain lion caught at Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park
RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- A mountain lion has been caught in the Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park in Trabuco Canyon, game wardens said.
State Fish and Game spokesman Andrew Hughan says the 100-pound male mountain lion was trapped, sedated and removed early Tuesday.
The park was closed after a mountain lion was spotted in the park on Sunday. The park has reopened, but Serrano Cow Trail remains closed as a precaution to check for any additional mountain lions, officials said.
The big cat was spotted Sunday morning by an Eyewitness News viewer who videotaped the encounter. Officials say the trapped animal is believed to be the same one.
In 2004, mountain biker Mark Reynolds was killed by a cougar lion in Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
animal news, orange county news
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale 40 min ago
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- OTRC: Kelly Rowland in talks to be 'X Factor' judge
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
19 min ago