Orange County News
Orange County Great Park Balloon ride re-opens to public
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- A huge balloon ride at Orange County Great Park is flying again after being closed briefly amid safety concerns.
The helium balloon was grounded on June 29 after an accident in Hong Kong involving a similar balloon. That balloon began leaking and plunged about 200 feet to the ground. Five people were hurt.
Great Park officials say their balloon has been inspected and serviced by its manufacturer.
France-based manufacturer Aerophile sent inspectors to check out several balloons around the world with similar design.
Inspections were performed and technicians concluded the Great Park Balloon was in good condition and air-worthy. Out of precaution, the manufacturer's technicians made some enhancements to the Great Park Balloon and performed some regular maintenance, according to Great Park officials.
Flights resumed Thursday.
The Great Park's tethered balloon started offering rides in 2007, lifting passengers up 400 feet into the air. About 60,000 people come aboard every year.
orange county news
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing 43 min ago
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors