Orange County News
Orange County Great Park Balloon ride re-opens to public
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- A huge balloon ride at Orange County Great Park is flying again after being closed briefly amid safety concerns.
The helium balloon was grounded on June 29 after an accident in Hong Kong involving a similar balloon. That balloon began leaking and plunged about 200 feet to the ground. Five people were hurt.
Great Park officials say their balloon has been inspected and serviced by its manufacturer.
France-based manufacturer Aerophile sent inspectors to check out several balloons around the world with similar design.
Inspections were performed and technicians concluded the Great Park Balloon was in good condition and air-worthy. Out of precaution, the manufacturer's technicians made some enhancements to the Great Park Balloon and performed some regular maintenance, according to Great Park officials.
Flights resumed Thursday.
The Great Park's tethered balloon started offering rides in 2007, lifting passengers up 400 feet into the air. About 60,000 people come aboard every year.
orange county news
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 1 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Man barricaded in Whittier apartment building 21 min ago
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
31 min ago