Orange County News
Orange County Great Park Balloon ride re-opens to public
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- A huge balloon ride at Orange County Great Park is flying again after being closed briefly amid safety concerns.
The helium balloon was grounded on June 29 after an accident in Hong Kong involving a similar balloon. That balloon began leaking and plunged about 200 feet to the ground. Five people were hurt.
Great Park officials say their balloon has been inspected and serviced by its manufacturer.
France-based manufacturer Aerophile sent inspectors to check out several balloons around the world with similar design.
Inspections were performed and technicians concluded the Great Park Balloon was in good condition and air-worthy. Out of precaution, the manufacturer's technicians made some enhancements to the Great Park Balloon and performed some regular maintenance, according to Great Park officials.
Flights resumed Thursday.
The Great Park's tethered balloon started offering rides in 2007, lifting passengers up 400 feet into the air. About 60,000 people come aboard every year.
orange county news
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic 59 min ago
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder 46 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house 51 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors