Orange County News
Stuffed mountain lion scares OC neighbor
LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Police and Animal Control rushed to a Laguna Beach home after a woman reported that there was a mountain lion in her neighbor's yard - only to find the animal was not a real concern.
Laguna Beach Police Lt. Jason Kravetz said they've notified residents recently of a bobcat that has been snatching some of the domesticated cats in the area.
So Beverly Bradham's heart started pounding when she glanced into her neighbor's yard on Sunday and saw what appeared to be a sleeping mountain lion. She said she didn't have her neighbor's phone number, so she quickly dialed 911.
"What appears to be a giant mountain lion lying on somebody's patio table," she said in the 911 call. "That would be pretty scary if somebody walked out and found that. You guys, somebody ought to get down here as soon as you can."
When Animal Control officers arrived, they discovered that the sleeping lion was actually a harmless stuffed animal.
"It was a real cat, but a dead taxidermy cat," Bradham said.
The owner of the stuffed mountain lion admitted lending the lion to friends as part of a prank.
"As a joke, we thought 'Let's put it in the neighbor's yard and scare the neighbor's wife.' Well, before the neighbor could come home, another neighbor saw the mountain lion, called the police," said neighbor Dirk Larson.
Bradham called 911 a few minutes later to inform them that it was a stuffed mountain lion.
"It is an artificial, stuffed mountain lion," she said with a laugh. "I'm so sorry." The 911 operator responded, "Don't be sorry, it actually kind of made my day."
Kravetz says Bradham did the right thing.
"She thought it was real, it looked like it was asleep," he said. "Fortunately, we all get to laugh about it now."
animal news, orange county news, rob hayes
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody 58 min ago
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest 21 min ago
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial 47 min ago
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent 11 min ago
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away 41 min ago
- 3 arrested for stealing gas from Fontana station
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- Okla. tornado cleanup slowed by thunderstorms
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'