Orange County News
Hundreds demonstrate in Anaheim; 9 arrested
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Hundreds of mostly peaceful demonstrators on Sunday took to the Anaheim streets again to protest two recent fatal police shootings. At one point, the large crowd made its way toward the Disneyland entrance, but police were able to turn the crowd away.
Protesters dressed in white started out at the Anaheim Police Department headquarters, where police officers were present around the building as well as on the roof.
The crowd marched down Harbor Boulevard toward Disneyland around 2 p.m. and were met by police in riot gear who prevented them from reaching the resort entrance.
Police on horseback flanked the crowd as they marched down the road. Some demonstrators could be heard chanting, "Whose streets? Our streets."
Police said there were between 200 and 300 protesters at the height of the gathering. They said they planned to allow protesters to demonstrate so long as they followed rules and stayed out of the street.
A total of nine people were arrested, officials said. There were no reports of major damage.
Later Sunday evening, a memorial service was held at La Palma Avenue and Anna Drive for one of the men killed by Anaheim police, Manuel Diaz. The 25 year old was shot dead as he fled on foot and police approached him. Diaz was unarmed.
The family of Diaz have called for peaceful demonstrations.
officer-involved shooting, protest, orange county news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought 45 min ago
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts 9 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres 37 min ago
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack 48 min ago
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report