Orange County News
Hundreds demonstrate in Anaheim; 9 arrested
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Hundreds of mostly peaceful demonstrators on Sunday took to the Anaheim streets again to protest two recent fatal police shootings. At one point, the large crowd made its way toward the Disneyland entrance, but police were able to turn the crowd away.
Protesters dressed in white started out at the Anaheim Police Department headquarters, where police officers were present around the building as well as on the roof.
The crowd marched down Harbor Boulevard toward Disneyland around 2 p.m. and were met by police in riot gear who prevented them from reaching the resort entrance.
Police on horseback flanked the crowd as they marched down the road. Some demonstrators could be heard chanting, "Whose streets? Our streets."
Police said there were between 200 and 300 protesters at the height of the gathering. They said they planned to allow protesters to demonstrate so long as they followed rules and stayed out of the street.
A total of nine people were arrested, officials said. There were no reports of major damage.
Later Sunday evening, a memorial service was held at La Palma Avenue and Anna Drive for one of the men killed by Anaheim police, Manuel Diaz. The 25 year old was shot dead as he fled on foot and police approached him. Diaz was unarmed.
The family of Diaz have called for peaceful demonstrations.
officer-involved shooting, protest, orange county news
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 19 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 15 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)