Orange County News
UCI professor planned killings at son's school, set 5 fires, DA says
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A University of California, Irvine, professor faces more than 12 years in prison for allegedly committing a series of arsons in an act of revenge after his son committed suicide, authorities said Tuesday.
Prosecutors said Rainer Klaus Reinscheid, 48, started three fires at University High School in Irvine in July. His 14-year-old son was a student there and had been disciplined before he committed suicide at neighboring Mason Park Preserve, prosecutors said. Reinscheid was also accused of starting a fire at the park and at the home of a school administrator.
Reinscheid was arrested last week when officers allegedly spotted him trying to set a fire at the park. He was released on $50,000 bail.
After his release, investigators said they discovered emails by Reinscheid detailing plans to buy guns, burn down the high school, commit sexual assaults, murder students and school officials and then kill himself. Police arrested him that same night, Friday.
Reinscheid, an associate professor of pharmacology science of 12 years, was charged with five counts of arson, one count of attempted arson and a misdemeanor count of resisting or obstructing a police officer.
Investigators said they believe Reinscheid acted alone and was the only suspect in the case. None of the fires caused serious damage.
At Reinscheid's first court appearance Tuesday, prosecutors said they planned to ask a judge that he be denied bail given the violence detailed in the emails. His arraignment was continued until August.
arrest, fire, orange county news
- Oklahoma tornado: 20 children among 51 killed
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Garcetti, Greuel make final stops across LA
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 17 min ago
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10