Orange County News
Armed robbers narrowly escape Garden Grove jewelry store owner's gunfire
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Garden Grove jewelry store owner opened fire on five masked armed robbers who stormed into the shop, thwarting what police say was likely a smash-and-grab heist.
The entire incident happened in 1 minute. Surveillance video shows a white Ford SUV backing into a handicap parking space at the front of the store. One by one, the suspects dressed in dark clothing rushed into the store with guns drawn.
As two of the suspects aimed their weapons at employees and a single customer demanding everyone drop to the ground, the three other suspects opened pillow cases and demanded cash.
The storeowner was in the back of the store and apparently saw what was happening through a small window in a wall that separates the rooms.
"She felt that these suspects where possibly going to injury the employees or the customer, so she fired two rounds from her handgun towards the suspects, which caused them to flee the store," said Garden Grove Police Lt. Jeff Nightengale.
The suspects stumbled and ran into each other as they clamored to escape the storeowner's blazing gun. One suspect fired off a round that hit the ceiling before exiting. The suspects jumped into the getaway car and left.
"Obviously, we are leery of recommending that storeowners take immediate action. It's all going to have to be based on the circumstances at hand," Nightengale said.
The store workers and customer were not injured.
caught on tape, robbery, orange county news, leticia juarez
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers 11 min ago
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die 9 min ago
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker