Orange County News
Santa Ana child-rape suspect's vehicle captured on surveillance camera
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- The Santa Ana Police Department released a photograph Friday of a vehicle driven by a suspect in the rape of a child.
A surveillance camera on the street captured an image of the suspect vehicle about a block and a half from where he dropped off the female victim.
Police said detectives canvassed the area and found the surveillance video from a business on Edinger Avenue. The image shows the car just west of the location where he dropped off the victim minutes earlier.
The incident happened at an apartment complex on the 1400 block of South Townsend Street on Sunday, July 15. A 6-year-old girl and her 4-year-old friend were on their scooters playing in a walkway around 6 p.m. when, according to police, a man got out of a car parked in an alley and lured the 6-year-old over with a piece of paper he said was for her mother. The suspect then grabbed the girl and drove away.
Police said the suspect drove to a parking lot in the area where he sexually assaulted the girl. About two hours later, she was spotted by a neighbor in the suspect's vehicle. The neighbor chased the car. The suspect stopped the vehicle and pushed the girl out. She was brought home by the neighbor.
Numerous witnesses described the vehicle to police: A 2-door silver Honda with a moon roof, silver rims and a spoiler on the trunk.
Police believe the vehicle is a 1999-2000 Honda 2-door Civic EX or SI with a sunroof, tinted windows, stock alloy rims and a stock spoiler. The car was extremely clean, according to police. Police also said the car had been in the neighborhood for about six hours prior to the kidnap and rape.
The suspect was described as a heavyset Hispanic man between 25 and 35 years old, standing about 5 feet 7 inches tall.
Anyone with information related to the case should contact Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS. Anyone with a tip that leads to the arrest of the suspect in this case is eligible for a reward up to $1000. Or contact the Santa Ana Police Department at (714) 245-8497.
Police had previously released a generic picture of the make and model of the car. Friday's release was believed to be the actual vehicle.
sexual assault, sex crimes, orange county news
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 47 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease 25 min ago
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe? 20 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
15 min ago
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
8 min ago