Orange County News
Santa Ana child-rape suspect's vehicle captured on surveillance camera
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- The Santa Ana Police Department released a photograph Friday of a vehicle driven by a suspect in the rape of a child.
A surveillance camera on the street captured an image of the suspect vehicle about a block and a half from where he dropped off the female victim.
Police said detectives canvassed the area and found the surveillance video from a business on Edinger Avenue. The image shows the car just west of the location where he dropped off the victim minutes earlier.
The incident happened at an apartment complex on the 1400 block of South Townsend Street on Sunday, July 15. A 6-year-old girl and her 4-year-old friend were on their scooters playing in a walkway around 6 p.m. when, according to police, a man got out of a car parked in an alley and lured the 6-year-old over with a piece of paper he said was for her mother. The suspect then grabbed the girl and drove away.
Police said the suspect drove to a parking lot in the area where he sexually assaulted the girl. About two hours later, she was spotted by a neighbor in the suspect's vehicle. The neighbor chased the car. The suspect stopped the vehicle and pushed the girl out. She was brought home by the neighbor.
Numerous witnesses described the vehicle to police: A 2-door silver Honda with a moon roof, silver rims and a spoiler on the trunk.
Police believe the vehicle is a 1999-2000 Honda 2-door Civic EX or SI with a sunroof, tinted windows, stock alloy rims and a stock spoiler. The car was extremely clean, according to police. Police also said the car had been in the neighborhood for about six hours prior to the kidnap and rape.
The suspect was described as a heavyset Hispanic man between 25 and 35 years old, standing about 5 feet 7 inches tall.
Anyone with information related to the case should contact Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS. Anyone with a tip that leads to the arrest of the suspect in this case is eligible for a reward up to $1000. Or contact the Santa Ana Police Department at (714) 245-8497.
Police had previously released a generic picture of the make and model of the car. Friday's release was believed to be the actual vehicle.
sexual assault, sex crimes, orange county news
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 36 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Kim Kardashian wears sister Kylie's bikini
- Grand Central Market has comfort food galore
19 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
10 min ago