Orange County News
Man found beaten to death in Costa Mesa home
COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities are investigating after a man was found beaten to death in his Costa Mesa home.
Police said a friend found the body of Gary Allen Smola, 50, on Saturday afternoon inside his house on the 1700 block of Whittier Avenue.
Investigators said Smola had been hit several times in the head with an unknown object. There was no evidence of forcible entry and nothing appeared to be missing from the home.
According to neighbors, Smola ran his own auto and boat detailing business and was always ready to help them out.
"It's almost incomprehensible. You just want to push a button and say he's back, that it was all a dream, but it's not a dream. He's gone," said neighbor Carol Ann Burr.
Neighbors said Smola lived alone and had no known enemies. Anyone with information was asked to call the Costa Mesa Police Department at (714) 754-5205.
homicide investigation, orange county news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate