Orange County News
Anaheim City Council votes to delay ballot measure
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- A special Anaheim City Council meeting was held on Wednesday night. The meeting was moved from the city council chambers to Anaheim High School so more people could participate.
About 300 people gathered for the meeting. The community has been on edge since controversial police shootings, violent protests and a call for new district elections.
One issue the council is considering is Anaheim's at-large voting system, which Latino community groups say doesn't allow for fair representation for Latinos. The ACLU is suing the city over its voting system.
The council met to consider changing how city leaders are elected and will look at the option of switching to district voting.
Many speakers told council members that the city is in trouble and needs change.
Angry residents have taken to the streets in protest. One turned violent. Wednesday some nearby businesses boarded up their windows in case there was a repeat.
Many residents at the meeting called for a ballot measure to change Anaheim's election process to district voting so more of the Latino community is represented.
"It's time to make a change in Anaheim. It's time to make a difference in the neighborhoods of Anaheim," said Genevieve Huizar, mother of Manuel Diaz, who was shot and killed by police on July 21. "Give the children a chance to grow in a healthy environment.
There was a lot of emotion at the meeting, but things were otherwise peaceful.
At the end of the meeting, the city council voted 3 to 2 to table the proposed ballot measure to change how the city elects its leaders to allow for more research and public input.
orange county news, leanne suter
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition 12 min ago
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 40 min ago
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
45 min ago